Veteran Affairs (VA) Loans
VA helps Service members, Veterans, and eligible surviving spouses become homeowners. As part of our mission to serve you, we provide a home loan guaranty benefit and other housing-related programs to help you buy, build, repair, retain, or adapt a home for your own personal occupancy.
VA Home Loans are provided by Trust Lending. VA guarantees a portion of the loan, enabling us to provide you with more favorable terms.
Purchase Loans help you purchase a home at a competitive interest rate often without requiring a down payment or private mortgage insurance.
Native American Direct Loan (NADL) Program: helps eligible Native American Veterans finance the purchase, construction, or improvement of homes on Federal Trust Land, or reduce the interest rate on a VA loan.
Adapted Housing Grants: help Veterans with a permanent and total service-connected disability purchase or build an adapted home or to modify an existing home to account for their disability.
About the VA Home Loan Guaranty
Most VA Home Loans are handled entirely by private lenders and VA rarely gets involved in the loan approval process. VA “stands behind” the loan by guaranteeing a portion of it. If something goes wrong and you can’t make the payments anymore, the lending institution can come to us to cover any losses they might incur. The VA loan guaranty is the “insurance” that we provide the lender.
VA Home Loan Advantages
The guarantee VA provides to lenders allows them to provide you with more favorable terms, including:
- No down payment as long as the sales price doesn’t exceed the appraised value.
- No private mortgage insurance premium requirement.
- VA rules limit the amount you can be charged for closing costs.
- Closing costs may be paid by the seller.
- The lender can’t charge you a penalty fee if you pay the loan off early.
- VA may be able to provide you some assistance if you run into difficulty making payments.
You should also know that:
- You don’t have to be a first-time homebuyer.
- You can reuse the benefit.
- VA-backed loans are assumable, as long as the person assuming the loan qualifies.